Thursday, November 09, 2006

the shores of Penobscot


- pink rain - glowing sunset - evergreens growing down onto the beach - steal gray tide - rocky islands - billowing clouds -

My childhood memories are built on Maine's stone-scattered shores. In many ways, my friends and I can say we become who we are today because of the cool summer nights and constant contact with raw nature. The place is a touchstone for us -- a place where we can return to see familiar faces and landscapes. When we take off to far corners, we create a vast network anchored in the deep Penobscot Bay.

I am grateful to all my friends - new and old, relatives too - and especially those with whom I passed endless summers, musing on sun-soaked rocks and gazing upon star-flecked skies. The last months have shown me the significance of these brainstorming and R&R sessions. As we enter the period in our lives when we can aid each other in crucial ways as we struggle to make something of ourselves, I am struck by the loyalty and vitality of our solid foundations.

No comments: