Tuesday, November 07, 2006

on going prep

In just seven weeks I will be enjoying the balmy winter weather of the Caribbean. Pre-departure preparations march steadily along. Each day brings a new understanding of what it means to rely on the grace and kindness of others. The medical, financial, and practical preparations consume more and more of my time. Slowly, the weight of my decision to live in Haiti sinks in.

I have seen more doctors and dentists in the last month than I have in the last year -- just to make sure everything is OK and I won't have to "pull a Tom Hanks in Cast Away," as one doctor gently put it. I have had every conceivable vaccination (save the Yellow Fever, which is of no apparent concern in Haiti) -- I feel like a pin cushion. Insurance covers nothing for travel vaccinations and between the rabies shots and malaria pills, I am already running up a fairly significant tab. But the strange side effect of all this has been sudden fascination in infectious diseases -- diseases that, in a world of increasing prosperity, continue to ravage destitute populations.

Aside from amassing immunities, I have begun to collect items necessary to living in the 3rd world. One of my friends helped me use e-Bay to find a cheap mosquito net. A colleague who deployed to Haiti in the 1990's recommended a pocket medical guide, which I found and purchased online. My parents offered to spilt the cost of a 10 mega pixel D-SLR. An awesome employee at the Apple store in Bethesda spent hours with me updating software and explaining how to take advantage of my PowerBook's media capabilities. I got a charger and cable for my digital video camera. I also splurged on a set of travel speakers for my iPod -- which will be loaded not only with favorite albums and books on tape, but also kids tunes and educational tracks (I'll be working with hundreds of children, after all). Last weekend, I started practicing my French again with a former teacher (who, incidentally, has visited Haiti under Baby Doc's regime). This weekend I'll begin compiling a travel medicine kit and any outdoor clothing my wardrobe still lacks (slickers, cargo shorts, sturdy sandals...).

The rector of my parish - the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament - posted my upcoming trip in the weekly bulletin and pledged some moderate financial support. My parents have been wonderful in their support. Friends have offered to do what they can -- some already have. As the Christmas season draws near, fundraising will become more difficult. Most likely my efforts will continue electronically from Haiti and into next summer when I can play a more experienced spokesperson for Theo's Work.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by people's generosity. Sometimes I am disheartened by my inability to spark interest. As I read more about Haiti and those who have already made a small difference there, I grow more determined that this corner of poverty in an otherwise relatively wealthy hemisphere should be eradicated.

No comments: