Thursday, December 21, 2006

this bumpy, rutted road I travel

The incredible thing about transplanting for 6 months to a year is that in no way can one prepare for such a move. To-do lists just get longer as days go by. Purchasing necessities and last minute doctor's appointments fill my remaining days here in our Nation's capital. Unfortunately, my new Macbook Pro died yesterday, so that'll have to be taken care of as well.

Hmmm... Let's talk about the latter for a moment, shall we?

My last laptop had died, as you may recall, under random and untimely circumstances. The hard drive was replaced so now it works as good as new. But recently, oh say, two weeks ago, I purchased a brand spanking new, 17" Macbook Pro. I got a good deal on it and thought, "why not? The next several months of my life are going to entail some serious work on the computer and I should have a good one." Right.

Over the last two weeks I've been loading software programs, new music (20 CDs in total) and uploading literally hundreds of photographs taken on my new D-SLR. Those are now all gone. Sadly, this includes pictures of taken of the Heartland and of my lovely nieces. If you were looking forward to shots of the mechanical bull at that bar in Kansas, please, stop waiting. They're lost in oblivion.

As I cry into my Wheaties, I'm reminded that everything works out for the best so I'm bucking up and trying to get on with my days. After all, I've only one week left to enjoy the city, my friends and my family. Please don't think I'm being melodramatic. I truly have no idea what will happen when I get back from Haiti -- whether I'll live here or in another place, whether I'll travel, return to school, go back to Haiti. This is, in every way, a pivotal point in my life.

I just wish my computer could accompany me at times like this.

No comments: