Monday, December 25, 2006

Random Christmas Thoughts

Merry Christmas everyone! Washington, DC has enjoyed warm days this winter. Imagine a Christmas during which flip flops make comfortable last minute shopping shoes. This isn't California!

This morning I'm reminded of bright and raucous college parties that my room mates and I threw my junior and senior year. We boogied to the sounds of Sinatra, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and the requisite James Brown. This morning I'm saddened to learn that the "Godfather of Soul" has passed at 73 of uncertain causes. Mr. Brown will be sorely missed; whenever I hear his sound I'll think of my happiest college days.

About a month ago, I made the irreversible decision to forgo the giving of gifts. In order to save a buck, I bought cards for all my family and wrote a Christmas thought in each. In return, I had hoped my family would simply give any money they normally spend on gifts to Theo's Work. While I'm ready with my cards this morning, my family seems to be ready with gifts. Eek.

Finally, as I sit blogging this Christmas morning, my family debates the good, the bad and the evil of electronic communication. I have obvious biases and happen to believe that, if used correctly, the Internet enhances certain aspects of life. The conversation now moves to how modernity has screwed everything up -- from personal communication, church, music, and so-forth. I surrounded by GRINCHES!

Merry Christmas. Enjoy the turkey and the gifting.

No comments: