Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Many a Holiday

Today's the Feast of the Ancestors in Haiti - a holiday. Yesterday was Independence Day - a holiday. Since our arrival, we have not "worked." That's not to say that Charlotte and Rob haven't been dressing wounds and making lists. The artisans, with whom I'll begin working shortly, keep hovering around me and asking when we'll have a chat about their "business." We'll get to that tomorrow.

Yesterday we went to Gele Beach and enjoyed the breeze and sun. Andy's friend Alex, a 39-year-old UN worker, joined us for some beers. We went back to his place (another first -- a ride in a UN vehicle) and had some beer, raman noodles with Haitian ham and Ethiopian spices, and sang to Motown tunes. Alex grew up in DC and knows all the cool haunts but he now calls his birthplace, Ethiopia, home. He did a tour with the Marines and eventually ended up joining the UN. Not only has he traveled and worked everywhere, he's so obviously intelligent and well-read. Meeting him only underscored my belief that it's the people you meet that make or break the travel experience.

As I write, Suzanne and Maxia sit with me. They have the sweetest faces and dispositions - if only I could share this with you all. My next big project will be to upload some photos. It just takes so long and the satellite is slow. Photos will come presently...

No comments: