Thursday, January 18, 2007

kitchen personalities

Dino works in the kitchen. He’s between 17 and 19 and claims the latter. He attends school and is currently in the 7th grade. When we have parties, he pours the rum with a heavy hand and makes sure everyone has enough ice. He giggles a lot and always has a smile on his face in spite of everything. His mother is sick and today his father died. Still he smiles. Last night he kicked my butt at checkers.
This is George. He also works in the kitchen and helps Dino prepare breakfast. He is gentle, soft spoken and kind. One day, I walked into the kitchen and saw him sewing two little skirts. I asked if he could sew me a skirt. He said he would make me a blouse and skirt for $10 so I bought the linen in the market. Within a day he had sewn a blouse that fit perfectly. He took no measurements and made no pattern. Today’s he’s watching my puppies for me.
Then there’s Frankel. At 20, he’s in charge of the food at the quad; he runs the kitchen. Eventually he wants to run a restaurant and so he works hard toward independence. As a child, he was trained as a metal worker. He makes all kinds of jewelry. If I buy the gold, he’ll make me a delicate ring set with a ball of gold. He listens to his headphones, drives around in his motorcycle, cooks a mean lasagna and has a delicate but vibrant spirit. He’s very sick with sickle cell anemia.
I see these guys every day. Their efforts sustain my energy and their personalities sustain my spirits.

No comments: