Wednesday, January 03, 2007

learning kreyol and how to live...

Mal-fini: There is a bird. He flies higher and faster than the rest. But he eats little ones. He is mal-fini. Badly finished. He is a hawk. Kreyol, created of three African languages with French influence, is charming and logical in odd ways. I learned this word while sitting beneath some mango trees with Eddie, Charlotte and some kids.

In the afternoon, we picked up Raymond from the airport. He looked as ecstatic as I felt at my return to Les Cayes. The weather that evening only reinforced a general sense of elation. The air was clear, breezy and the sunset dazzling. Last night we took a stroll outside the property. It was a clear night and the full moon lit our way. At the intersection down the road, someone blasted kompa music. People milled and sat about, chatting, drinking plastic cups of rum, frying plantains. We purchased a few beers from one woman and ambled back. Once back at the quad, we played Breakfast Club and added French subtitles so Frankel, the resident cook, could join us.

This morning I fixed up my room a bit. I have a desk now but still need some shelves. Eventually I’ll hang my really hot poster of Marine heroes and some other things. This morning we began working, as well. Charlotte and Rob started moving supplies to the new clinic while the artisans accosted me for money.

So, with a couple kids keeping us company, we looked at the list that Onell had created. The grand total sum he wanted in order to buy new tools and materials came to about $500 American. He tried to explain to me that Pere Marc and Eddie said I should sign the request but I felt like someone was trying to snowball me. Sure enough, I was right! Andy and Eddie and I all sat down to talk about what Onell wanted and why.

The artisans already have tools. Onell wanted to get some of the older kids to do a class with him so he wanted more tools and more supplies. He wanted us to buy them and later he would probably sell them at profit himself. The other thing is, the artisans supposedly work on a microloan system. Because I’m new, they thought they could get me to revert to the old system. It’s easier for them and more expensive for us.
We told Onell (above on the far left, Andy on the far right) that if he wanted to have art classes, he should start with simple pencil and paper drawing. He was not happy. Andy assures me that this particular job will become a headache; not only do I have to control some of the logistical aspects of this art program but I have to instill a sense of responsibility and business sense. Yikes!

This is a picture of our last soiree at the Bay Club. From left to right, Eddie, Yves and Johnny. Eddie and Yves speak English really well and are both intelligent guys. In addition to acting head principal, Eddie runs a store next to La Madonne. Hanging out with them has been fun. Tonight, we'll all get a chance to hang out at the Bay Club, once again. This time, our new friend, Alex, will join us.

No comments: