Tuesday, July 03, 2007

the parting of good friends

It is with a sad heart that I report the passing of my faithful Nikon D70.

It has been with me in Haiti these 6 months -- through thick and thin. We didn't hit it off immediately but given a few months, we were really meshing. When home, I rewarded it with a new lens. It was ecstatic. As a result, we produced some beautiful art together in North Carolina at the end of June.

Then it began to sputter, catch, click. I ignored the signs... not wanting to believe! Finally, it forced my hand, freezing just one too many times. I went to Ritz Camera.

"Sorry, lady. It's definitely not your new lens. It's your body. You're gonna hafta send it into Nikon for repairs."

"How long?"

"4-6 weeks."

"I have a day..."

"Well, you're outta luck then. Cross your fingers."

So I did. I crossed my fingers. As many as my limited dexterity would permit. And my Nikon and I traveled back to Haiti together to bravely document my remaining weeks.

Not a week into my return, I remove the faithful digital, single lens reflex from its bag. We're going to an orphanage run by a Haiti cop! What fun to capture the smiling faces of those 20 cherubs in sharp, perfect digital clarity.

SNAP.

((((((((((CLICK)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

The shutter stuck open. I reload the battery. Don't fret. Just try again.


SNAP.

((((((((((CLICK)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))


Sh*&.

I put the D70 back in its fancy black bag and resigned myself to documenting with a sorry, hand-held, happy snap camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading about Haiti in Alaska. How odd. But truly, the loss of a camera is the loss of a friend.