Wednesday, April 11, 2007

an online interview

A few weeks ago, the co-creator of expatinterviews.com contacted me. She had discovered my blog through perusing the internet and asked me if I would mind interviewing for their website. I agreed.

Where were you born?
Washington, D.C., USA

In which country and city are you living now?
Les Cayes, Haiti is the closest place you’ll find on a map but I am actually living several miles northwest in a place called Madame Combes/Castel-Pere. It’s farm country....

...Do you miss home and family sometimes?
I do miss my family – because they are the best in the world and I am very close to them. But then, we are close, so we keep in touch. I miss my girlfriends dreadfully because I live with a bunch of guys, the orphanage is mostly boys and my co-workers are mostly male. I miss getting a good glass of red wine with my best buddies on a Friday night. I also miss warm showers.

Every Friday night, Pwoje Espwa personnel get together for a “fĂȘte.” I think it’s modeled on the Peace Corps weekly tradition of getting together with your fellow Corps buddies to have a drink. It also helps solidify our family-ness...

...Do you have other plans for the future?
Right now, I am leaving the future a bit open-ended. I committed to 6 months to a year with Pwoje Espwa but have told them that I am flexible as well. Grad school is a possibility but then, so is finding work with an NGO. I continue to reach out and research while remaining committed to my current work here.

If you are interested in reading the full interview, first one for an expat in Haiti, check out expatinterviews.com. It's also cool to see what other "expats" are doing all over the world.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something I noticed: the majority of interviewees on that particular site are remarkably witty, astoundingly well spoke, insurmountably intelligent, and disalarmingly attractive.