Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter in my homes

Yesterday while I was spending the day in the mountains with friends and marveling at the incredible difference between my childhood and theirs, it was snowing in Washington, DC.
My father told me of the ephemeral April snow melting on cherry blossoms and of the beautiful Easter vigil service he attended with my mother at my childhood parish. Another friend told me that she accompanied her Christian friend to the National Cathedral (my alma mater) on Sunday and could not believe the grandeur of the Easter-Sunday Mass. Everyone celebrates this feast day a little differently all over the Christian world -- but I do love to attend the great churches in big cities on these days.

We celebrated here. The effort was touching but the results somewhat lacking in reverence. While our service was not particularly reverential, leaving me slightly homesick for the dark, candle-lit cathedral services in the States, Easter brought me two new godsons: Chupy and Lovinse. Haiti and I will forever be connected...

No comments: